Saturday, January 17, 2015

A Writer's Growth

There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.

When I first began my writing journey and had a decent-sized manuscript, I shared my 'baby' with another writer.
She had three books under her belt, several anthologies, and had worked in TV/print journalism for years. After I sent my piece, I sat back and smiled, knowing she would soon shower me with praise. It was clearly the best fantasy adventure book of the year. She asked me out for tea. 

As I drank chamomile and mint with my pinkie out, she slaughtered my child in front of me. 

After the shock and denial wore off, I realized she had rescued me from the wraith that had masqueraded as my manuscript. Painful as that knowledge was, it spurred me on to improve, change, and grow. I ripped 25K words from my document and commenced significant revision. I'm rather productive when angry, and in my quest for excellence, I took no prisoners. The process would continue cyclically as my skill grew. The manuscript has since won awards and recognition, but as of yet, remains unpublished in its entirety (I have another editing pass to make...). 

My future growth is not inevitable. I can only hope I will have the guidance I need, the strength to continue improving, and the fortitude necessary to speak honestly to myself. 

For most writers, growth is a choice, and there are many writers who choose not to change. Some are happy in their endeavors; some wonder why they never seem to improve. Perhaps writers don't change because they can't move past the point where their own hand is poised over the band-aid, ready to uncover an old wound that has healed incorrectly. It really is cruel, but until there is an entry in the DSM for writers, insurance companies will not cover therapy. We must simply keep our eyes upon our personal goal—and pull the band-aid quickly.