Friday, October 10, 2014

Domestic Forces

Yesterday, I read an article that referred to 'Veterans, Military, and Domestic Forces (Police, Firefighters, EMS, etc.).'


....'Domestic Forces'?



The semantics of the phrase are fascinating to me. To hear police officers referred to as a ‘Domestic Force’ makes a modicum of sense, but firefighters and EMS? When did we stop teaching Kindergarteners about ‘community helpers’ and start teaching them about ‘Domestic Forces’? The article was written by someone outside of public safety. Does the public perceive not only a militarization of the police but of EMS, as well?


As a member of EMS, I do not see myself as a part of a force. ‘Force,’ to me, implies an imperative. Police enFORCE the law no matter your consent. Medical care is not forceful (certain psychological exceptions aside). We are there to help but only by consent. In healthcare, the sovereignty lies with the patient, completely, totally, and always (again, psych conditions aside). There is no imperative.


If we are grouped into the ‘Force,’ we put ourselves more at risk. That’s the primary reason services reject badges for EMS personnel, right? In my area, if we wear badges, we look like cops and get shot at (at least cops can shoot back). I’m content to operate in the cold zone; I want to keep it a cold zone as much as possible. The streets are dangerous enough for us without marketing ourselves as a Force—thugs aren’t known for their discriminating tastes.

It seems that ‘Domestic Forces’ is the way of the post-9/11 world. But when trouble strikes, I will still share Mr. Rogers’ advice with my Kindergarten friends: ‘Look for the helpers.’